Home > Article > Studying in the US: Are these professions more likely to get a green card?

Studying in the US: Are these professions more likely to get a green card?

Author:MEhome 2019-03-27 417

Among the students studying in the United States, there is no shortage of people who want to study abroad to obtain a US green card. What is the benefit of the green card for everyone?

The United States Permanent Resident Card, also known as the green card, is an identification card used to prove that a foreigner has permanent resident status in the United States of America. The “Get Green Card” is used to refer to the immigration process of becoming a permanent resident. The legal permanent residency of a green card holder is an officially granted immigration benefit, which includes a conditional residence and employment permit in the United States.

Specifically, there are these: Every family member is free to enter and leave the United States at any time and to reside in the United States, that is, permanent residency; Children who are enrolled in colleges and universities can pay the same tuition fees as state residents; Students can work legally during school; Enjoy the advantages of outstanding employment opportunities; You can enjoy social welfare such as public schools, medical insurance, and social security. It is recommended that when choosing a US study abroad major, you can pay more attention to the following four major professional directions: Natural sciences: biology, life sciences, chemistry, geology, geophysics, physics and astronomy Engineering: Aviation, Aerospace Engineering (it is easy to be refused under current circumstances), architecture, environmental design, chemical engineering, civil engineering, computer systems engineering Technology: Computer Science, Data and Information Processing, Electrical, Electronic Engineering, Production Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology Mathematics: Mathematics, Statistics All of the above are science and engineering majors, and the requirements for report writing may be higher. After all, research reports are also very important. If you want to stay in the US, the following information is an important reference:

1. Liberal arts: few opportunities Liberal arts graduates are hard to find jobs in the United States. The so-called liberal arts students mainly refer to social science students, including art and education students. American students have little interest in learning science and engineering. The number of engineers trained in the United States is insufficient. The demand for highly skilled workers in the US high-tech industry is high, and foreign science and engineering students are popular. Native American students study business and liberal arts. Their cultural background, language advantages, and personal connections are far from comparable to international students. In addition, government departments that require liberal arts students generally only enroll US citizens or permanent residents, leaving the choices for liberal arts students. Much smaller. 2. Two internships: good for finding a job The United States provides two international students with internship opportunities related to their major: CPT is a work placement that is applied during school. OPT is a work placement that can be applied for at school or after graduation. CPT internships should be part-time and half-read, otherwise the internship time will be deducted from the OCP in the future. OPT internships can be carried out after one year of study, but usually after graduation. OPT's internship period is 12 months, but STEM students can apply for an extension of 24 months, so there can be a total of 36 months of internship. OPT is not only an important stage in accumulating work experience, but also a golden period for finding professional work.

3. Looking for an internship: a variety of options
When you don't have any experience and your resume is not impressive, professor recommendation is the best channel: Career Center has both school and college, and often publishes internships and work news. Into the school, remember to ask the teacher in the career center how to subscribe to regular career information; large companies have their own Internship Program, some are only in the summer, and some are rolling recruiting.
Mixer is also divided into several types. There are gatherings with your own brothers and sisters, and there are classmates or classmates in the same city. You can go online to find people who share your interests, or be in the industry you are interested in, and then come out and meet with them, you can inadvertently get internship opportunities. LinkedIn is also an important tool, and many large companies' HR will spend some time each day watching Linkedin.
Job recruitment in the United States is very focused on work experience. Internship is the best time to gain work experience in the United States. For many students studying in the United States, if they can find an internship in the United States, they will add to their careers.

4. Professional immigration EB-2: International students apply for more For international students who have obtained a degree in the United States, the most frequently applied is the second priority (EB-2) in the occupational immigration category. You must have a master's or doctoral degree. There is also a third priority (EB-3), which does not require a postgraduate degree. To run these two types of immigrants, it is necessary to pass the labor certification. An employer who operates a green card for you must submit an application to the Department of Labor to prove that no existing US citizen or permanent resident meets the basic requirements or is willing to accept the job of the person to be hired. This job has to hire a foreigner and the employment will not be similar. The wages and work environment of American employees have an adverse effect. The employer also promised that the job was not a temporary job and the wages paid were no less than the general wage level for such work. If the labor certificate is approved and the green light is released, the employer can successfully apply for a green card for the immigration office

5. Outstanding Talent Immigration: EB-1 and EB-2 Special Projects If you are an outstanding talent, researcher, professor, etc., you can apply for the first priority (EB-1), or you can prove that your work is in the national interest of the United States, then you can apply for a special in the second priority (EB-2). Project, that is, national interest exemption from immigration. Both types of applications do not require a labor certificate. 28.6% of the annual global immigrant visa quota in the United States, or about 40,000 immigrant visas, plus quotas for unused special immigrants and investment immigrants, are used for “first-class priority” immigrants. 6. Relative immigrants: get a green card by marriage Your relatives are US citizens, and international students may submit green card applications. Relatives of US citizens include parents, children, and siblings. If a foreign student marries a US citizen, he or she can usually get a US green card within a few months, but this green card is usually a temporary green card valid for two years. During the work of holding the H1-B visa, you can let your company apply for a permanent resident and get a commonly known green card. If you have difficulties, you can only find jobs for units that are willing to do green cards. Such immigrants are called professional immigrants.

7. If the company has an overseas branch, you can apply for an assignment.
Leave the United States to work in other countries for at least one year and return to the United States through an L-1B visa. There is no quota for the L-1B visa, but it cannot be changed. During the work in the United States, you can continue to participate in the H-1B lottery. After you draw, you can change jobs.
8. Find jobs directly from non-profit organizations
Some non-profit organizations, universities, and affiliated research institutions in the United States can apply for a work visa for employees. And there are no quotas for work visas for these institutions. However, such jobs are low-paid, and if you are going to the industry in the future, you still have to find a job before mid-March, participate in the H-1B draw beginning on April 1, and the work start time can only be October 1.
Non-profit organizations and research institutions are of course also qualified to give you a green card. If you plan to stay for a few more years, you can change your job after getting a green card.
9. Apply for an O-1 visa
Similar to EB-1, O-1 visa applicants must also have outstanding abilities in science, art, education, business or sports, and O-1 visas require employer support.
10. Apply for an investment immigration green card
Like the EB-1, the investment immigration EB-5 is also a way to get a green card with a minimum funding requirement of $500,000. However, since it is an investment, we must do a good job of knowing what to do and make a profit.
Tags: united states permanent residency children architecture liberal arts interships CPT new york
© copyright MEhome